San Francisco Restaurants

With all my oohhing and ahhing over the NYC food last week, thinking that I need to do a post for San Francisco. Sometimes it's easy to forget how good the food is right where we live...and if you live in the Bay Area- the food is pretty spectacular.

I often have people ask me for SF restaurant recommendations...by no means am I any sort of expert- I only think it's because I've lived here for so long. I wish I was more adventurous in my dining- I often stay in the same neighborhood aka"campus": Marina, Pacific Heights, Cow Hollow, and Polk Street...but there are so many fantastic neighborhood restaurants that I have yet to discover- the Mission, Castro, Noe Valley, Potrero Hill, Soma, etc.

I wanted to share with you a list of my favorite SF spots and then the "to do" restaurants that I haven't tried yet:


FAVORITES:
Tipsy Pig, Umami, Mamacitas: My cousin, Stryker, is one of the owners of these three spots, so I am obviously a bit biased...but even if we weren't related- I would be going to these spots all the time. Umami has half off bottles of wine before 7pm, Tipsy Pig's moscow mule cocktail is heavenly, and I love just about everything on the Mamacita menu.

Sociale: This is right up the street from where I live- one of my top 5 favorite spots in San Francisco. Little neighborhood spot, you can sit outside- amazing pasta and wine.

Pizzeria Delfina: Amazing. Get the pizza with the arugula and prosciutto. You will go home very happy. If the wait is too long...walk right down the street to Dino's.

Wayfare Tavern: New Tyler Florence spot downtown. I love the feel of this spot- big fire and great place to get cocktails. This is always a spot I go for work things because of it's location, but the food is always top notch.

Hillstones: So I am embarrassed to admit that I am suggesting a chain restaurant (gasp)...this spot used to be called Houston's- it's the same look, location and menu- just different name. So many fabulous things about this spot- no wine corkage, artichoke dip, veggie burger and brownie dessert. Go there hungry.

Firenze By Night: John and I went here years ago because one of my friend's is the bartender. To be honest, I didn't really have high expectations for this spot because of the kitschy name of the restaurant- but I've got to say that the dinner was absolutely incredible. I am not sure if it was because we were being served a lot of free cocktails, but it is some of the best Italian food that I have had in SF.

Little Star Pizza: Deep dish, incredible pizza...one piece and you'll be stuffed- totally worth it- my favorite is the Mediterranean Chicken. I don't love the location- but the pizza is worth going off campus.

La Med: John used to live around the corner from this spot and I still have never gotten sick of the food- consistent and affordable- always happy at the end of my meal. I sadly have only ordered one thing for the many years that I have been going here (Middle Eastern Plate with Lamb Lule)...it's just so good- can't imagine ordering anything else.

Boulette's Larder: We rented this spot out for my mom's birthday a couple of years ago and it's just dreamy- we ate right in the kitchen- the food and experience was out of this world. I am not sure how dreamy the night would be if I had to pick up the bill, but if you have someone else hosting- suggest this spot. Right in the ferry building.

Cavallo Point: Pass the expensive and snotty Murray's Circle and head straight to Farley Bar. Across the bridge, I adore this location and spot. Great martinis and bites at Farley Bar.


"TO DO":
Chez Spencer: supposed to be in a very random location, but amazing French food.

Heirloom: everyone is talking about this place lately, want to see what all the buzz is about

Frances: see notes about for Heirloom. Tried to make reservations and first available was in June!

Nob Hill Cafe: I have been talking about going to this spot for years. My friend, Sterling, used to live right by this spot and we still never went. Looks like a cute spot in the perfect SF location.

Flour + Water: I can't imagine any pizza better than Delfina, but people continue to quack about this spot. Impossible to get reservations.

Chapeau: This spot is walking distance from where I live...with 1200 yelp reviews- this spot has got to be good

Farina: I just need to go and have dinner here- feel like I've been talking about it now for about a year. The pesto is supposed to be heavenly and is in a fun location in the Mission.

Benihana: I think the last time I went here was for my 8th birthday, but now at 31- people are still going there for their birthday parties...got to try it again!

What am I missing? Let me know some of your favorite spots.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your recommendations. Can't wait for my next trip.

Katie Gibson said...

Great suggestions!!

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs