101 Cookbooks

I have been making an effort to eat whole foods lately. I know this sounds Nor Cal hippy dippy of me, but the more I read- the more I am starting to realize just how much awful stuff there is in some of the food that we eat. I have discovered an amazing blog that is a great resource for whole food recipes- 101 Cookbooks.

I have pre ordered Heidi's new cookbook- coming out early April- Super Natural Every Day. Excited to try out her recipes...soon it will be a new natural me!

I absolutely love quinoa. It's known to be the perfect protein and I find it a perfect base for meals. I am going to make this Double Broccoli Quinoa this week...looks simply perfect.

Here's the recipe:
3 cups cooked quinoa
5 cups raw broccoli, cut into small florets and stems

3 medium garlic cloves
2/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted 
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 big pinches salt
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup heavy cream

Optional toppings: slivered basil, fire oil (optional), sliced avocado
crumbled feta or goat cheese



Heat the quinoa and set aside.
Now barely cook the broccoli by pouring 3/4 cup water into a large pot and bringing it to a simmer. Add a big pinch of salt and stir in the broccoli. Cover and cook for a minute, just long enough to take the raw edge off. Transfer the broccoli to a strainer and run under cold water until it stops cooking. Set aside.
To make the broccoli pesto puree two cups of the cooked broccoli, the garlic, 1/2 cup of the almonds, Parmesan, salt, and lemon juice in a food processor. Drizzle in the olive oil and cream and pulse until smooth.
Just before serving, toss the quinoa and remaining broccoli florets with about 1/2 of the broccoli pesto. Taste and adjust if needed, you might want to add more of the pest a bit at a time, or you might want a bit more salt or an added squeeze of lemon juice. Turn out onto a serving platter and top with the remaining almonds, a drizzle of the chile oil, and some sliced avocado or any of the other optional toppings.
Serves 4 - 6.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks absolutely delicious!

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs