How Easy Is That?

I am embarrassed to report that I JUST ordered Ina's new cookbook, "How Easy Is That?". I was trying to hold off until Christmas for when Ina was going to send me her signed copy, but I couldn't resist. I can't wait to try out her recipes and will be sure to report to you all on some of my favorite. 


Here's an interview with Ina from the kitchn talking about Ina's new book and some tips for the holidays.


Ina, what were the holidays ever like before we all had you?! 



What are your favorite recipes in the book that are good for scaling up (or down) when you have a party, or for when you're just cooking for two? 
Some things, obviously, like a leg of lamb, are better for a lot of people. I don't mind making something big and then serving it in different ways for different dinners. Steakhouse steaks are great; for a crowd you can make them in two different pans. Also, the herb-roasted turkey breast is easy to make and to scale. You can make one or five.

What's your go-to dish for entertaining that's not too expensive? 
Weeknight Bolognese is great. It's just canned tomatoes, Parmesan, and pasta. You can use lean ground sirloin, and it can really serve a crowd.

What do you cook when you're alone?
Oatmeal! I never cook for myself! I cook all day so last thing I want to do is cook.

Who is your favorite person to have over for dinner?
Jen Scales

When it comes to making dinner or throwing a party, what's one mistake home cooks make?
Doing too complicated a menu. You get yourself in trouble, but it could have been avoided from the start. I always say don't cook more than two or three things for a meal. After all, it's not about the food. It's about the friends.

Do you have any favorite kitchen tools that you think are unfamiliar or unusual to home cooks?
I have a stack of eight half sheet pans — I do everything in theses. Bake, make cookies, cakes, roast! I think these are something many cooks don't think to have.

Another thing I find a lot of people don't have that I use a lot is a juicer. There is really no substitute for fresh citrus juice. You get so much flavor from something that is so inexpensive.
But then, with a good sharp knife you can do an enormous number of things. And I use my KitchenAid mixer everything from cakes to mashed potatoes.
What is one thing that you eat every day?
A Sweet Jennies cookie...to go along with my Sidecar cocktail of course.

1 comment:

Keenan said...

I love that you and Ina are so close. Touching. Did she tell you she's featured on the google homepage today? Didn't think so. But I know.

©2012 Design by Katelyn Brooke Designs